Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ear tubes for little D.

What a looooong morning we had on July 21. After poor Little has suffered through ear infection after ear infection since he was 5 months old he finally got tubes placed in his eardrums. It was by no means a serious or complicated surgery and I'm so thankful for that. It was sad to see our little guy all doped up and to have to watch the Dr. carry him off to some unknown place that we weren't allowed to go. I can't imagine having a baby with health problems and sending them off for major surgery where you don't know the outcome. I am truely thankful that my children are healthy.

We had to be at EIRMC in Idaho Falls at 5:45 am (I didn't know this time existed!). They admitted our little guy and got his vitals and things like that. After 2 or 3 more nurses came in to do their parts and ask their questions D had had it. And he fell asleep. The anesthesiologist came in to describe how they'd be putting him under and to ask if we thought he'd have separation problems when it was time to take him and I said "yes" because he's such a mama's boy, hehe. So they brought in some meds for him and we had to wake him up. We gave him the medicine and started to walk down to pre-op. During this 3 minute walk his head started bobbing, the meds were taking effect....so sad! I hated to see my little buddy like this. His eyes and head were rolling around and his body was totally limp. SCARY! The Dr. came to pre-op and talked to us. Then the anethesiologist came and took him. We walked down the hall behind him watching him take our baby and this is when the tears came. I knew he'd be fine, and I knew we'd see him again in less then an hour but this was still one of the hardest things I've done. He was just looking back at me with those droopy eyes and I wanted to run up and grab him and say "never mind! we don't want the tubes!!!" and take him home. But the Dr. turned to go to surgery and we had to walk on to the waiting room. The LONGEST 45 minutes ever!!! The Dr. came in to talk to us after about 30 and said things went perfectly and gave us instructions for afterwards and later that day. I guess while we were in the room talking to the Dr. they paged us to come to recovery so we didn't hear it. They called Jake's cell and we left the waiting room. As soon as I opened the door I could hear D crying. So we walked faster. Poor little guy was scared to death with two nurses he'd never seen before, and he was starving (we weren't allowed to feed him after midnight). We fed him a bottle and he downed it so fast and then was mad that is was gone. He cried for about an hour straight while the nurse kept coming in to monitor him and was doing his check-out papers. We could tell he didn't feel right and this was making him mad. He wouldn't really open his eyes and he didn't even stop crying when we'd walk around with him. He was just mad! As soon as we got in the car he feel asleep. We were out of there by 9 am. We came home and he slept until noon...and so did we! Overall it wasn't bad and I'm hoping this will help him. We haven't noticed much of a difference yet. He still has his cranky times and he still pulls at his ears a lot. I'm hoping that after they heal he'll be more comfortable and happy!
Before surgery when we were doing tons of vitals and waiting.
Such a tired boy with his bear the hospital gave him.
Looking a little out of it after they gave him his medicine in pre-op.
Finally eating afterwards, he was starving!!!!


We love our little D so much and we feel bad he had to go through this. But, if it helps it will all be worth it.

2 comments:

Mary Lynn Evans said...

Man, I can't imagine having a kid have to be put out for surgery. I didn't like it for myself let alone one of my kids have to. I'm glad it went well!

Nielsen Family said...

I imagine surgery is more traumatic for the parent then child. At least thats probably what it would be for me! I'm so glad everything went well. I hope he's feeling better. He's such a cute sweet little guy!